About Youth En Route
Youth en Route champions, inspires and supports active transportation to school and beyond.
Youth are empowered to use active and independent ways to get where they are going.
We are committed to:
- Valuing the opinions of others, especially youth
- Using equity as a lens to drive our work to communities traditionally not well-served
- Modelling anti-racism practices. We recognize that racism is systemic, and we are committed to eliminating racism in all forms.
- Acting responsibly toward the communities in which we work and for the benefit of the communities that we serve
We take pride in building positive and beneficial relationships between schools/communities and the key civic/provincial resources. We value opportunities to work with partners to make a collective impact or make resources go further.
What we are doing
We are working to develop sustainable active transportation culture and infrastructure so in the future, youth prefer using active transportation to get where they want to go. Reducing dependence on cars, and using active modes, is good for our planet, student health, mental health and air quality. It fosters independence, inclusion and equity and connects students to their communities. It’s fun, too.
- More students riding or using active transportation to get to school
- Identify and advocate for safe, calm (preferable 5A) routes to school for most students
- Build school culture and community around active transportation to sustain
- Engage community members in active transportation and help them support infrastructure improvements
About our Name
Youth En Route came about after talking with high school students at both EP Scarlett and Lester B Pearson. Board member Rizalyn Reyes went through a focus group exercise and the student landed on the name unanimously. It captures a broad age group, and the all modes of active transportation.
About our Logo:
We have a placeholder until we can start our work in schools in September. We expect to work with youth, and connect with young artists and designers to build our brand.
Incorporated on May 11, 2021 as 13008037 Canada Association.
Corporation number 1300803-7
It was registered in Alberta on May 19, 2021 with corporate Access no. 5324493048.
Staff and Directors
It takes a village.
This bike equipment supplier works with the biggest brands in biking. They supported our Pilot Project right out of the gate, with over $3,000 worth of equipment to encourage riding!
We are looking for groups to partner with. Let’s work together on shared infrastructure, ideas and equipment – to make all of our funds go further, and get more kids out of cars and using independent, active and green transportation.