Sign up your school
Are you a parent on a school council?
A teacher at a Calgary or southern Alberta High School?
Youth En Route is applying for a grant for funding to run an active transportation programs at southern Alberta high schools.
- What you get:
- Comprehensive engagement to understand the barriers your students face when trying to use active modes to get to school and an action plan to tackle them. Everything from improved bike storage to bike fleets for PE classes to PD for teachers and lesson plans.
- A detailed infrastructure report, compiled with lots of community input, to help guide future road, pathway and crosswalk improvements.
- Suggested route maps for students, bike education including riding, safety, maintenance. We’ll help with whatever you need to get students active and independent.
- Great opportunities for Leadership, Calm or PE classes to get involved in a range of ways that connect to curriculum.
- What we’d like from schools to make projects a success:
- We can work with your school goals and teacher needs to plan a project that works for your school.
- We love engaging parents through School Council and are happy to present at meetings
- Student leaders interested in active travel, health or environment can really drive positive change at your school. Student involvement is not necessary, but really helps.
- Teacher or Admin Champions – again, not necessary, but really helps.
Contact us if you’d like Youth En Route at your school next year. We would like to have 20 schools signed up by the end of June to be ready for the start of school in September.
Donate a good used bike
We are working to build bike fleets that schools will own and use as PE equipment. Learning to ride, or experiencing riding to a destination empowers youth to understand the ease and joy of bike riding. Any bike donations that come in, go to our partners at the Greater Forest Lawn Seniors Bike Shed who refurbish and repair them before donations.
What kind of bikes do we take? Our preference is Adult bikes of all sizes, with an upright geometry and handle bars and easy-to-work shifters. If you can find your bike on Bicycle Blue Book we can write a tax receipt for your donation. Please remember those values are in US dollars. We will pay the comparable Canadian Rate, at the lowest end of the suggested value. Tax receipts are issued quarterly.
We are also always looking for Trikes and Adaptive Bikes that we send to special needs classes at schools.
Money opens doors and allows us to do more. Please consider a donation.
13008037 Canada Association is a registered charity under the income tax act with charitable no. 75817 8461 RR0001.
You can easily make a donation on our Canada Helps page.
What else are we looking for?
Locks, helmets, lights, bike equipment, saddle bags, cold and wet weather gear.
Safety equipment like vests.
Spare parts, tires and bike repair equipment.
Please reach out using our contact form!
Have questions or need help? Use the form to reach out and we will be in touch with you as quickly as possible.